Update on Dad

Dad will most likely be having his triple bypass surgery Friday, though his blood thinner has tapered off leaving his system this last day or so.  I was not able to get home to see him, which was very hard to accept.  I got very sick with some stupid viral thing, complete with chills and whole body aches.  It was insane.  2x we got in the van to head home, but a leaking coolant system and bald tires, along with my hurting just sitting there, sent us back to the house the first time.  The second time I was so very ready to go, but had to face the reality that I would not be allowed to see him being this sick... so why drive the 2 days drive just to sit nearby in some waiting room, quarantined from anyone seeing my dad for only 2 days, then drive the 2 days back.  Talking with my dad on the phone after the 1st attempt, he said "you need to listen to God's 2x4 sweetie."  See??  I just love my dad!  My mother said "listen to the signs girlie."  So we stayed here.

I am so very thankful to have such a rich heritage!  I also had a peaceful encounter with God while I lay in bed whining about not getting to go.  As I was praying a not so holy prayer, I realized something.  My pastor's wife is always saying hold the things of this world loosely, because ultimately, it all belongs to God. I realized that I do tend to hold my family fairly firmly.  My hubby, my children, my parents, my sisters...I just don't want God to take any of that from me.  I turned my family in to an idol that I put above my love and faith of God.  This is a bad thing.  It's not bad to love your family, and I will protect and defend my children with my life if necessary!  But they are ultimately God's, just as my father with his 3 seriously blocked arteries is God's.  It was a wonderful moment and a calming one for me.  I also have the added peace that I will see my folks in heaven again, and that is going to be for a whole lot longer than this fleeting time on earth!  Praise God!!

Now you have been updated ;-)  I have had one horrible week.  I have not had a lick of coffee and no cold cereal with milk :-(  Nothing tastes good to eat, super bummer!  But I am feeling peaceful in my heart.  I did get to skype with my dad last night and just got to look at him and hear him laugh... it was wonderful!! I so appreciate this computer age!!

Comments

  1. I had a similar chat with God, as I was praying, telling God that I wasn't ready to lose my father. And while I was praying fervently, it suddenly dawned on me that I was telling God what to do! I had to pause and re-align my heart. God is in control, not me, I put my trust in Almighty God.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your kind thoughts!!

Popular Posts