Wow, totally excited here for school to start. I have had to put way more thought into it this year than before for a couple of reasons:
- Here in Alaska the public school has an 'independent studies' program, which means I register the kids in the program and I get a portion of the money that would have been spent on their public education to use at the house. HELLO, why on earth don't other states do this??? You really should consider rattling some cages about this. It is very similar to the school voucher thing that just can't seem to pass on a government level.
- My oldest is entering Jr High this year. Things are a little more advanced and we are closing in on the grades that really matter for his future. I take all of that pretty seriously. We are building the foundation that will sustain a life time of learning (at least, I hope he continues to learn his entire life)
The record keeping and reimbursement are critical. I have to keep receipts and make sure that the Individual Learning Plans are just right. But there are fun things as well...
- We are getting an iPad for school. I have discovered so many wonderful education apps for the kids on my iPad that I budgeted the school money and requested one for this year. The kids didn't do very well on vocabulary this past year and they have already improved with a couple vocabulary apps this summer.
- I get a new dry erase board!! Ok, geeky I know, but I just love them. The kids love writing on them as well, so I really consider this a bonus for our school room.
- The school money won't pay for a new computer desk (which died before the move) so that has to be acquired... but it will cover a 'loaner' computer for the school room (which also died before the move). So we are getting a new computer that I can buy back from the school after 2 years should the Army move us again... and they will.
Anyway, I am just so excited that I wanted to share it with you all.