thy will be done

in college my professors would always say, "if something is repeated, it is important." meaning of course that if they repeated key phrases or concepts, it was important enough for us to write down in our notes. i have found in my life that God does the same thing to me. if He is not needing to throw a "brick" at my forehead to get my attention, He is using this repeater tactic to get me to consider or learn something. He has chosen to do this with the Lord's Prayer, or aspects of the Lord's Prayer. our paster at Bowie PCA is preaching through the Lord's Prayer as a sermon series, and we are working on the Lord's Prayer in our nightly catechism with the children. and of course what is standing out for me is the 3rd petition and its implications in my own life.

Question 124. Which is the third petition?

Answer: "Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven"; that is, grant that we and all men may renounce our own will, (a) and without murmuring obey thy will, which is only good; (b) that every one may attend to, and perform the duties of his station and calling, (c) as willingly and faithfully as the angels do in heaven. (d)


i tend to be much more like jacob in my wrestling with God. i know God's will, He makes it very clear to me, i just DON'T want to obey. while i was wrestling with God over His will for my life, He "touched my hip" in a powerful way... He gave me my daughter. and my daughter as a toddler was a near fight 'to the death' over even the smallest things. it was like a bolt of lightning struck my head. i was being a willful and often disobedient child for my Heavenly Father. i am reminded again of this concept as i struggle again with my current 3yr old. so i return to my knees in prayer, i must find time in my busy day to be silent before my Father in order to 'listen' to His will.... and then i must as for the Holy Spirit to help me obey the Father's will with joy with both the 'large ticket' and 'small ticket' items.

Matt.16:24 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
Tit.2:11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
Tit.2:12 Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;
Luke 22:42 Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.

Rom.12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
1 Cor.7:24 Brethren, let every man, wherein he is called, therein abide with God.
Ps.103:20 Bless the LORD, ye his angels, that excel in strength, that do his commandments, hearkening unto the voice of his word.
Ps.103:21 Bless ye the LORD, all ye his hosts; ye ministers of his, that do his pleasure.

Comments

Popular Posts